OCR Cambridge Nationals (Level 2) in Information & Communications Technology
At Key Stage 4 we are to offer the OCR Cambridge Nationals in ICT Level 2.
Level 2 Cambridge National Award in ICT (60 GLH) - ½ GCSE grades C and above.
Level 2 Cambridge National Certificate in ICT (120 GLH) - 1 GCSE grades C and above.
The grades available are pass, merit and distinction. A pass has to be obtained in order to gain a qualification:
- Distinction - the highest grade available. This indicates the student is currently working at the equivalent to A/A* at GCSE
- Merit - the student is currently working to the equivalent of a grade B at GCSE
- Pass - the student is currently working to the equivalent of a grade C at GCSE
These qualifications will assess the application of ICT skills through their practical use. They will provide learners with essential knowledge, transferable skills and tools to improve their learning in other subjects with the aims of enhancing their employability when they leave education, contributing to their personal development and future economic well-being.
The Cambridge Nationals in ICT will equip learners with sound ICT skills for everyday use and provide opportunities to develop in context those desirable, transferable skills such as planning, research and analysis, working with others or communicating technical concepts effectively. They will also challenge all learners, including high attaining learners, by introducing them to demanding material and skills; encouraging independence and creativity; providing tasks that engage with the most taxing aspects of the National Curriculum (including data handling, modelling and programming). The hands on approach that will be required for both teaching and learning will chime appropriately with the way young people use new technology and will underpin a highly valid approach to the assessment of their skills as is borne out by what teachers tell us. The qualification design, including the range of units available, will allow learners the freedom to explore more deeply the things that interest them as well as providing good opportunity to enhance their learning in a range of curriculum areas.
List of Unit Titles
- Unit R001: Understanding computer systems
- Unit R002: Using ICT to create business solutions
- Unit R003: Handling data using spreadsheets
- Unit R004: Handling data using databases
- Unit R005: Creating an interactive product using multimedia components
- Unit R006: Creating digital images
- Unit R007: Creating dynamic products using sound and vision
- Unit R008: Introduction to computer programming
- Unit R009: Exploring computer hardware and networks
- Unit R010: Developing control systems
- Unit R011: Understanding technology - a project approach