Students at Ysgol y Grango enjoy excellent facilities, with well designed classrooms, modern science laboratories, first class learning resource and study areas; all with the highest level of ICT support. We have a superb floodlit all-weather sports pitch; a suite of music rooms adjacent to the school drama studio, providing us with excellent performing arts facilities; specialist art and graphics rooms as well as our own engineering workshop. We also offer some of the best catering and social dining facilities in the region.
We utilise state-of-the-art information and communication technology facilities, including 3 dedicated ICT suites, mobile suites of laptops across the different subject areas, interactive whiteboards and digital projectors. We are constantly seeking to improve the learning opportunities of our students both in school and through their access to technology at home and all students have access to Moodle, our virtual learning environment.
Our commitment is to:
- Motivate and excite students to want to learn, develop and value the community they live in and the role they have to play in it
- Help students to understand how to learn and how to go on learning in their adult lives
- Offer challenges and opportunities that will maximise the potential of each student, regardless of background
- Help students to understand the role they must play in achieving their own success
- Empower young people to respect themselves and their society, to take responsibility for their actions and to feel that they can make a difference to their own lives
- Provide frequent opportunities to develop and apply knowledge and understanding of the cultural, economic, environmental, historical and linguistic characteristics of Wales
- Involve the wider community in extending learning opportunities
- Develop in students the ability to manage personal and emotional relationships
- Provide opportunities for students to understand their own creativity and how best to use it
Moving to Ysgol y Grango
The partnership between Ysgol y Grango and our primary partners in Rhosllanerchrugog, Penycae and Johnstown links the curriculum and many other school policies to ensure a smooth transfer. Members of the Leadership Team, the school SENCO and Transition Co-ordinator visit all local schools regularly to meet pupils and to discuss their individual needs with their teachers. Other members of staff work together across departmental areas. Year 6 pupils attend a series of events at Ysgol y Grango, including several familiarisation visits.
Opportunity & Progression
Ysgol y Grango provides all students with the opportunities, experiences and qualifications which will enable them to progress into sixth form, further and higher education. We also provide, in partnership with Careers Wales, expert careers information and guidance, enabling students to make the right choices in their journey through education, employment and life. We support every student to reach their maximum potential. We encourage and promote lifelong learning.
Senior students at Grango provide leadership to the rest of the school and this in turn enables the students to develop and grow.
Sixth form links
As well as information sessions in school, we provide opportunities for students to visit and experience the sixth form facilities at Rhiwabon, Maelor Penley and Coleg Cambria. Staff from these sixth form centres visit school to address our students and encourage them to attend their advice and information evenings. We also link with Llys Fasi College which provides courses linked to environmental and agricultural studies and students are encouraged to visit the college open evenings.
Higher Education links
We organise trips to various universities to give students a taste of life in higher education.
There is a great emphasis in the school on developing students’ understanding of the skills necessary for the world of work. We offer a key skills programme, work experience placements, an Entrepreneurship Programme and a Challenge of Industry Day to develop these skills. Our vocational curriculum entitlement means that every student is expected to follow a vocational pathway through key stage 4. With the support of The Careers Service our experienced Pastoral Team interviews all students and supports them in their pathway choices.
Our aim is always to allow each student to reach their maximum potential and provide them with the best possible life chances, as well as promoting a love for lifelong learning.